Classic Chocolate Cakeby Team Goelji on August 16, 2011
|Semi-Sweet Chocolate||4 oz|
|Eggs, separated||4 lg|
|Unsifted flour||2 cups|
|Baking soda||1 teaspoon|
|Buttermilk or strong cold coffee||1 cup|
- In heavy saucepan on low heat, melt broken chocolate with water; set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time beating after each addition. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Sift flour with soda.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk or coffee to chocolate mixture; mix until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with salt until very stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spread into three 8 or 9″ round cake pans lined with wax paper.
- Bake at 350-F about 30 minutes. Cool on rack 10 minutes; remove cake.